Friday, September 17

postheadericon Who Am I? What is Twitter?

  
We'll folks, tweets are just too short to express all that I have to say.  If you are here I most graciously thank you for reading this far, as I am not a celebrity, candidate, politician or even a clever pundit.

Who Am I?

I am a husband, father, American, Christian, writer, Libertarian and Teaparty Supporter that votes mostly Republican.

Why I list these identities in this order: 

I am only 100% aligned to being a husband and father.  I love my wife and daughter without question. It is what I am most certain of in life. 

Some might question the order of putting American before Christian, oh! my!  I know what it is to be an American most of the time, but I question that regularly.  Being a Christian is an act of faith and it evolves as I do, I will write about that at times, but lets face it, no one knows the face of God. So it is sometimes hard to grab on. I will count on his mercy after listing him #4 on my identity list.

This blog is about me trying to be the writer with some regularity, I think my life would be much more enjoyable if writer was on the list right after father, but it isn't. Writing is something that drives me, but I have not yet harnessed it to fill my life and pay bills and it is too small a part of the jobs that do that.

Then there is what will be the major subject of this blog, POLITICS!  I can't help it, it matters; it always has.  I could never be one of those Jay Leno stops who are willing to float where the government lets them with no clue about what is going on.   Libertarian comes from both American and Christian.  Take the Bill of Rights and The Golden Rule and you have how I expect the government and my fellow citizens to act.  It is how I aspire to act.

Before you start searching blogs written when I was tired and mad or paging through tweets sent in frustration, I am far from perfect. But I can tell you I never write from bigotry.  If you think I do, call me on it.  But keep in mind bigotry is not the same as disagreeing with the politics of race, gender, sexual preference and religion.  I can support equal gay rights and get really disgusted with some of the tactics used to "advance it."  I can be proud that America was open to choosing Barack Obama as our President and mostly frustrated with the results of that choice.

Lets talk about Twitter
Twitter is easy to define.  It is a global cocktail party where we have no idea how much each person has imbibed before they speak.  Important communications are missed and the trivial tweets can start a riot.  It is the background noise of the connected plant.

  • What I like is that it creates the illusion of relevance from my little home office.  
  • What I hate is that it creates the illusion of importance to too many people who have nothing to say*
  • What is ugly, well Twitter is about people and it is quick and easy and becomes a channel for some ugly language.

It is one of those inventions no one saw coming and yet from the first cell phone text message it was inevitable.  It would be nice if we actually communicated with it and it helped bring understanding, but I am pretty sure that is not a feature of the technology.  It at most gives a place for people to find like minds or prove they are different.  A few people get to feel important when they get thousands of followers, problem is those followers are following hundreds of others, you are still a face in the crowd.

And for those that choose to post ugly, rancid, bigoted, misogyny in tweets. Stop that! it totally ruins the illusion that you matter, it defines you as refuse to be ignored.  Find a clever way to express yourself, maybe you will inspire someone to rethink a position or try on a new idea.

I welcome your comments and critiques.  Keep it civilized, you are much more likely to get your comments dumped for crude attacks on others than of me. I can take it,but I also think we have a duty to call out people who practice personal destruction as their main form of communication.

*yes I often tweet when I have nothing to say... :) 
  

0 comments: