Thursday, November 3

postheadericon The Current Case for Herman Cain

After reading Cain's guest commentary Nov 4th in the Washington Times, I am even more sure of my choice for Herman Cain.  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/4/one-year-from-now/

It was the first debate when I jumped on the Cain train.  Looking at the record in Texas and when Cain got sidetracked into the discussion of local Mosques, I wandered over to the Perry party, but left that party quickly when I realized the host is a progressive in his views that government can enforce solutions vs enable people to create solutions.

But as things continued there was one person who was able to clearly state his ideas.  He was willing to take risks.  And most importantly he is someone who has a positive passion for America and our good allies.

This week has been hard.  Politico did a hatched job.  A story with no real allegations and no facts, a story I am betting you could write about almost any man who has been in power.  "Some women may have felt uncomfortable at some point about something."  Politico chose to be a bad blog vs a site for journalism.

I hear people talk about how bad Cain handled this, and everyone knows a better way.

So you really think that the MSNBC and the lazy media that would copy them would ever say.  "Oh, I get it! Lets move on."  Tell me another joke.  If he is prepared, then he clearly knew this was a serious issue and is just another scripted politician.  If he says its not worth addressing, he is clearly hidding.

Trust me.. there is no way to gracefully handle vague accusations like these when there are people dedicated ending your campaign. So lets stop second guessing Cain.  Cain did it Cain's way.. he said what he knew when he remembered it.  And honesty is always messier than a script.  Honesty often falls between the perfect consistency of crafted lie and the contradictions of a sloppy lie.

For me I see a man who did one thing I respect.  He took it on and didn't hide from questions, when it would have made sense to pull back.  For that people are attacking him.  I for one am impressed that his first instinct it to talk to us as best he can, not wait for the script.

What about the gaffs and sometimes clear gaps in knowledge?  Name me one president that was perfect.  Some of our worst presidents have been very good at the facts, and failed because they had no understanding of the heart of the nation.  Some of our best have made gaffs and even had some serious character flaws.  Leading is not managing. Leading is not project management.  Leading is about a clear vision that can be communicated and choosing a good team without ego when it comes to choosing people smarter than yourself in their area of expertise.

Over the months, there are fewer of the GOP slate of candidates I would support for nomination and even one that I would choose Obama over, based on foreign policy.

But I am still sure that Cain offers the leadership, vision and passion for America that we need to see leading us through some hard times that have to come as we dig out of hole we started digging a long time ago.

I continue to listen, I have list of next in line if I lose the belief that Herman Cain is able to lead and create a team to execute his vision for America.  But for now, being human and being imperfect is not a disqualification for being a good president.

Added 11/4 After talking with my better half, we realized it comes down to:
You can vote for who you think will SAY the right thing, or you can vote for who you think will DO the right thing.  I still trust Herman most to DO the right thing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you should be supporting ron paul. he has a thirty year record of doing the right thing - unlike cain. and paul is consistent. never flip flops like cain.